Spinach, Bacon & Mushroom Salad with Dijon Dressing
Makes 2-4 servings
- 1 pound fresh, young spinach leaves
- 1/2 pound raw mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 5 hard-boiled egg whites, coarsely chopped
- 5 strips bacon, fried crisp, drained, and crumbled (can use turkey or tofu bacon for a lower fat option)
- Wash and spin-dry the spinach and discard stems. If leaves are large, cut or tear into bite-size pieces.
- Toss the spinach, mushrooms, onion, eggs, and crumbled bacon in a bowl.
- Top with the Dijon dressing.
- 1/2 cup canola or olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dark sesame oil (if available)
- 1 tsp Splenda or sugar substitute
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place all the ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake vigorously. Adjust seasonings if needed. Pour over the spinach salad and toss until all the leaves are coated.