Smoked Salmon Scramble with Hash Browns
Makes 2 servings
- 1tsp canola oil or low-fat vegetable-based cooking spray
- 4 egg whites
- 1 whole egg
- 2 tbsp skim milk
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2oz smoked salmon sliced or chopped
- 1tbsp chopped dill
For the hash browns:
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 4 slices diced bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped cauliflower (four to five florets)
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
To make the Smoked Salmon Scramble:
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg whites, the egg, the milk and the pepper.
- In a nonstick frying pan, heat the oil (or spray with low-fat vegetable based cooking spray) over a medium-low heat and add the egg mixture.
- Gently stir the eggs until they begin to set. Add the smoked salmon and continue to cook until the eggs are completely set.
- Sprinkle with the dill and serve with the Hash Browns.
(Tip: try using diced shrimp, crabmeat or cooked lobster (canned or prepackaged, drained) in this recipe.)
To make the Hash Browns
- In a large non-stick frying pan, heat the grapeseed oil and cook the bacon and onion until they just start to brown.
- Add the courgettes and cauliflower; cover the pan and cook over a medium-low heat until the vegetables are tender.
- Add a bit more oil if required to brown the vegetables and stir occasionally.
- Once the vegetables have softened, add your eggs and season to taste.
- Continue cooking over a medium-low heat until the bottom is browned. Flip and brown the other side and divide into 2 servings.